Saturday, December 15, 2012

Joy

One of the areas of our church I serve is presenting the children's message every Sunday during worship service.  Most of the children gather on the stage to hear some story or object lesson I have prepared. (usually at the last minute the night before)  I was asked to share the story of the Advent wreath each Sunday and tomorrow we will be lighting the Candle of Joy.

Joy. How appropriate.  How hard.

Yesterday, a very heinous, unspeakable event shattered our country and even our world.

There is no joy tonight in Newtown, CT.  There will not be any joy in Newtown, CT tomorrow.  We can't ask that community to find joy in the midst of this tragedy.  We can only pray that one day it will seep back into their town and cover them with a crushing power.

There was joy the night that Jesus was born in a manager.
That has to be our focus.
There was joy the day Jesus suffered on the cross.
That has to be our focus.
There will be joy on the day Jesus returns for those who believe.
That has to be our focus.

There is no joy in turning on the TV to hear the latest develop, so I've stopped.

There is joy when I hear of people on their knees lifting up this community  that they have no connection to.

This tragedy hits close to home in so many ways.  I am a mother.  I am a teacher.  Anxiety reared its ugly head yesterday and today as I thought of my own children, and how badly I want to shield them.   But I quickly remind myself that what good am I doing by being anxious?  I can't be a "helicopter parent", hovering over my child's every move.  They will grow to dislike me for that.  I can only be an example of faith and trust so they will build that up in their hearts too.  I have to build faith and trust in my students so that they can impact their world in a mighty way.

Joy is what I will see when I look into the eyes of the children surrounding me tomorrow morning in church and in my own when I hug them too tight and kiss them too hard.

No comments: