Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Confessions of a slacker (or loser)

I would be referring to myself.


It's confession time.

Time to spill my innermost gut.

Time to make an admission.

I know this may come as a shock to some of you.

I'm sorry to cause you emotional suffering.

Are you ready?

Brace yourself!

Here goes...

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

I AM NOT A PERFECT MOM!

Whoo! Okay, now that THAT is off my chest, I can explain the title of this post.

For the past 4 years, 3 months, and 20 days, my sweet Anna Kaye has used a pacifier.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I know! If you want to stop reading this right now because you are completely mortified, I will truly understand!!

Yes, I am a slacker/loser mom. Gary Ezzo would have a heart attack!!!

In the beginning of her days, it was used as a soothing tool/stretch out the feedings tool. Over
the next year or two, I knew we needed to wean her from this habit, but it became "another one of those things I would deal with later". Around 2 years old, we made her start leaving it in her crib and she could only have it when she went to sleep. I have to say that was a pretty easy compromise. The rule stuck. And so 2 years turned into 4, all the while, thinking to myself that this child is going to be in the second grade still using a pacifier (or paa-poo--as she affectionately called it).

We kept saying we were going to cut it or poke a hole in it, but the drama and heartache it caused wasn't worth it. (Yes, I know, we're not supposed to let our children win the battles, right?)

So enters February 21, 2010.

AK and I woke up around 4 am, VIOLENTLY throwing up. It was miserable. We were miserable. The house was miserable.

24 hours later we had recovered.

But Paa-poo had not. It was covered in germs, among other yucks!

She finally asked for it a couple of nights later...

INSERT WHITE LIE!!!!

We told her that she could have it, BUT it might make her throw up again.

OMYGOSH!!!!!! Did the "How to be a Parenting Genius" book finally hit us in the head or what?

Cause this was the brilliant of all brilliant white lies...CAUSE guess what her answer was?

NO!!!! NO!!!! NO!!!!! NO!!!! NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! NO!!!! NO!!!!

Apparently, throwing up mortified the child. And even the most remote thought that it could have been the pacifier that had caused it was enough to kick the habit COLD TURKEY!!!

Yes, that is right! COLD TURKEY, BABY!!!! I am so proud of her! And (Gary Ezzo, eat your heart out) it hasn't interrupted her sleep cycle one bit.

And boy are we grateful that Campbell just won't plain take to one!!! YEEE---HAW!!!

I have to be so thankful for the nasty, schmasty virus that bombed our house. Because it helped me to be the parent and stand up to my child and her paa-poo!


Thanks for the memories, paa-poo!

1 comment:

amy said...

You are so my kind of people. :)