Thursday, February 17, 2011

A few more gray hairs...

Warning---picture to follow post

I now have some more gray hairs and it's not because I've been plucking out the ones that were already growing. My "oh so precious, keep me on my toes, princess one day-bulldozer the next" decided she wanted to see what it would feel like to stick a rock up her nose. And boy did she SHOVE it up there.

On the way home from Jazzercise last night, AK asked for a tissue. I heard her trying to blow her nose. Then I heard a whimper of panic in her voice. I asked if she was alright and she mumbled something about a rock in her nose. I could have broken my neck (or wrecked the car) as fast as I turned to hear what she had just said. Yes, she said that she had a rock stuck in her nose and that she was "so sorry, Mommy". I did a QUICK count to five to remain calm, and pulled over to try to help her blow it out. When I opened her car door, I immediately saw blood. Don't panic, don't panic was my mantra!

We couldn't blow it out so I called the clinic and they were closing. I called Pete, he said to get home, and we would figure something out. All I could think about was having to DRAG this child to the ER to remove a rock.

When we got home, I used a flashlight to look up her nose and SURE enough it was a couple of sniffs close to entering the farthest reaches of the nasal cavity. I called Prompt Care and THEY were closing. I got some advice from the nurse who said that she would try tweezers, a suction bulb, or a good blow with one nostril closed. If all else failed, then on to the ER.

I gave AK the option. She took one look at the tweezers and FREAKED!!!!!! Guess that wasn't an option. So I held her one nostril closed and told her to blow as hard as she could. And that little girl did just that. One good blow sent that pebble straight to the tiled floor (along with some blood).

She cried, I did a happy dance (specifically b/c we were just saved a $500 trip to the ER) we cleaned everything up, then had a firm, yet loving discussion that this was not to EVER happen again.

I think the idea of going to the hospital will cure that!!!




No comments: