Friday, August 13, 2010

Follow through----(One of the difficulties of parenting)

Parenting (as I discover more and more each day) is filled with so many joys. There are also those days where you find yourself on the verge of tears.

Case in point...

I started back to work on Tuesday, which meant AK had to start back to school as well. She loves her school and has missed her friends all summer. Restarting our routine means early mornings for this "needs her sleep" little girl.

As I picked her up from school, her friends felt delighted to tattle-tale on her. One particular little boy told me she had been naughty and had to sit in time out. (side note: While I realize that my child is NO angel, we have taught her that whatever we expect at home, we expect in public) The time out was due to the fact that during naptime, she didn't sleep at all, but simply PLAYED the entire 2 hours she was on her mat. (another side note: this floored me, because we've trained AK to be a great sleeper and I couldn't figure out why on this day she would choose to not take a nap)

Sooo....that evening Pete and I had a long talk with AK about timeout, playing during nap, not obeying, etc. and how that was not acceptable. We both agreed and told her that the next time this happened, she would get a spanking from us.

Let me interrupt this post and jump on my soapbox a minute. By no means am I trying to push any type of discipline onto anyone who reads this and has children. I have been around so many children of all ages in my lifetime and I am here to say that "Whatever works for your family and your child is your decision". Pete and I talked long before having children that this would be our form of discipline. And it works for us...and our child.

FF to Wednesday...Picked her up from school, she had a great day, DIDN'T NAP, but didn't disrupt anyone. Apparently she's just trying to get readjusted...

Thursday rolls around----I pick AK up and she comes walking to me with a frown on her face and very worried. Yep, she had been talking and playing yesterday and had to be put in timeout again. Now let me just say that it can be a little embarassing for a parent when your child misbehaves for someone else, b/c you then begin to question your ability to parent. (Well, at least I did) The reason for the frown is because she had remembered what we told her two days before and she knew she was going to get a spanking.

Before leaving, I made her apologize to her teachers and this ABOUT killed her! I should have let this be her punishment, as much as she broke down having to do it. BUT, hence the title of the post.

We HAD to follow through...and let me tell you, this is one tough part of parenting. My heart is screaming to let it go, it's not the end of the world. My head is telling me that I am the one in control, not my child, and I have to be an effective parent and a good role model. And what kind of lesson am I teaching if I don't follow through?

AK was rather distraught all the way home because she knew she was in trouble. My hormones were kicked into high gear (the eyes were watering pretty bad) b/c she was upset and I knew I HAD to follow through...

I'll leave out the details of when we got home...but I will say she received the punishment we said we would give her and we of course showered her with love and tears and affection. We also had a long discussion about what we expect from her when she's not around us. (And yes, a 3.5 year old does understand expectations)

As I recall the past couple of days, I am forced to flash forward ten years from now when she's 13, and I am dealing with FAR greater issues to "follow through" on than naptime. Will it be harder to follow through? NO DOUBT!!!!

I pray every night that the Lord will give Pete and I guidance on how to raise our children. We want to be such godly examples for our girls to follow...and hope that those qualities will filter through them. We want them to be respectful, loving, compassionate, kind, filled with self-control...

I am realizing more and more every day, it's never too early (or too late) to learn these qualities.

SIDENOTE: She was back to her usual routine today and had an AWESOME last day in her class. Monday begins 3K---new teachers, new rules...OH BOY!!!

No comments: