Thursday, September 18, 2008

An apple a day never kept her away...

Sadly, my first grade teacher passed away this week. Mrs. Jane Ramage was a mean and tough teacher, but ultimately one of my favorites. She honed my reading skills and helped mold me into the book worm (novels that is) I am today. I vividly remember our classroom being in a portable (trailor park) in the back of South Columbia Elementary (can I get a whoo-hoo for all those who attended this great school?) I don't remember very much about 1st grade except one incident where I fell asleep during WEEKLY READER time and she didn't wake me up for recess (you can GASP here)! I only woke up because I heard kids playing outside our window.

I have had the pleasure of attending the same church with Mrs. Ramage since I can remember. And bless her heart, she has always seemed old to me. She has watched me grow up, go to college, and become a teacher myself. And she always loved hearing about the first days of school. Funny how you miss something you can't wait to retire from...

In August 2006, our church gave my sister-in-law and I a joint baby shower and Mrs. Ramage attended. She came in proudly bearing her copy of her first grade class the year I was in it. And on the back of the picture was each child's name typed in order according to their seats. She let me keep it. (If I can figure out how to scan it in , I'll post it soon) What a proud moment for her and I, almost as if she were passing the torch.

I hope she doesn't mind how I remember her...I also hope I can influence my students the way she influenced me...

And I hope she is getting a chance to teach again.

p.s. Amy----Just wait to you see us, big hair and all!

1 comment:

amy said...

Oh, that really makes me sad that she is gone! She was one tough teacher, but boy, did I just love her!! I remember hair ribbons and friendship beads (on safety pins on our shoes). Remember those?