Monday, November 2, 2009

A conversation with a Solicitor

Today I showed up at traffic court to dispute the outrageous fine of $280 that was imposed on me for ROLLING through a stop sign. I am guilty and was not wanting to get out of the charge completely, just wanted to be given a little break.

Here's how my "trial" went: S=solicitor, m=me

S: Jennifer Brucker?

M: raise my hand

S: You may come forward.

S: You've been charged with failure to stop at a stop sign?

M: Yes m'am

S: How do you plead?

M: Guilty

S: You should plead No Contest. It will reduce your points on your license

M: Ok. No contest.

S: Are you able to pay the $280 fine?

M: Yes, but I was hoping for a reduction in the fine

S: We usually only do that for extenuating circumstances.

M: Oh...(feeling VERY defeated and as if I burned a whole day for nothing)

S: She writes the fine on the paper and asks me to sign my name

M: While signing my name, I ask, What qualifies as an extenuating circumstance?

S: Something like an emergency

M: Oh...I was just in a neighborhood and I came to the stop sign and turned right. I didn't actually run straight through it.

S: stares at the ticket for what seemed like an eternity---Can you pay $140 today?

M: Yes m'am!

I had to contain myself to keep from skipping out of the courtroom!

No comments: