Monday, November 24, 2008

Serve.It.Up

I want to preface the following post with a comment (or 2). I am a firm believer that children should never sleep with their parents nor should a parent sleep with their child. It does more harm than good in the long run (for children, parents, and even marriages), not to mention the potential safety hazards that could arise. And children need to learn to fall asleep on their own so that they will always be able to practice this habit.

With that said...

Anna Kaye slept with us for the first time last night! (I've climbed off my soapbox now.)

Yep, there goes that crow. Shoot him down and serve him up!

Around 12:30 (that's a.m. folks!) we heard AK coughing/barking and crying. I waited it out to see if she would fall back asleep and she did. About 15 minutes later, Pete got up to check on her b/c he worries when she doesn't feel well. She immediately sat up in bed and cried out for Daddy. She still had the TERRIBLE cough. He got her settled and put her down. She fell asleep and slept fitfully until about 3:30 (that's a.m. again!) At this point she was crying, coughing, and gagging. Pete was up watching TV b/c HE couldn't sleep, so out of sheer DESPERATION for 2 1/2 hours of uninterrupted sleep, I grabbed AK and put her in the bed with me. Pete joined us soon thereafter and we slept until the alarms SCREAMED that it was time to rise and get ready for work.

Now...sounds like no big deal, right? Umm...no. Our sweet little girl snores like a trucker at the local truck stop, which I'm sure most of it was because she couldn't breathe well. She likes to toss and turn a lot in her sleep, so her head was either on my pillow or on my shoulder. And her cute little feet were propped up on her daddy's belly all night. I know she wasn't comfortable and we didn't sleep either.

So tonight she is back among her bumper pads and blankets.

And we will pray that the Triaminic cough medicine I gave her will do the trick because I don't plan on introducing any new nighttime routines!

No comments: